Saturday, February 5, 2011

15 POUNDS of Lasagna $1/pound


Nothing is better than homemade lasagna. I don't make it often because it does take some time but when I do, I make a lot.

1. Boil up about 18 lasagna noodle ($1.50) (6 noodles per layer for a large pan). Take them out of the water when still a little tough.

2. Ground up 1 pound of ground beef ($3) with onion and garlic. I had a couple left over Italian sausage links that I chopped and added to the meat.

3. Mix a large container of ricotta ($3.50) cheese, with 2 cup mozzarella cheese ($2) , 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese ($1) and 2 eggs.

4. First place some can or homemade pasta sauce (I used 3 cans at $3) on the bottom of the lasagna pan (this large pan is Mario Batali lasgna pan), then layer of noodles, then meat, ricotta cheese mixture and then more sauce. Do this 2 times.

5. The final layer is noodle, sauce and cheese. I had extra ricotta so I put dollops of ricotta on the top.

6. This had to bake for 2 hr (@350 F) because I refrigerated over night. It truly weight 20 pounds because I weighed it on my scale. The pan is kinda of heavy so I beat I had at least 15 pound of pure perfection!

Total cost $14 for ~15 pounds of food. My family eat 1/3 of the pan, so I froze the rest for later. That figures out to be $4.70 for a meal for 4 people. What a bargain!

As a nutritionist, I tried to reduce the fat/calories and used low fat cheese, skim milk ricotta and 95% lean ground beef and turkey sausage. Nobody notice it was a lower fat version! Wish I would had added vegetables. Sometimes I make half meat and half vegetarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment