Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Homemade Bagels ($1 for a dozen)

I would normally serve Acini de Pepi with a grilled cheese sandwich which I assume most know how to make or I would serve it with bread or toast or a homemade bagel. Our bagel store went out of business, so I had to learn how to make them myself. We love bagel sandwiches in the toaster oven. I can make about 14 bagels for $1-$2. It is basically flour, sugar and yeast and very cheap to make but a little intimidating. I start the dough in my bread machine. Here is a link to the bread machine bagel recipe. Here is another link to how to roll the bagels. I prefer this method over the twirling them around your finger method.

Tip - don't put wet bagel (from boiling water) on a dry towel because they just stick to the towl. Make sure that the bagel is strained well from the boiling water than place it directly onto the corn meal on the baking sheet. A baking sheet with corn meal worked better than my pizza stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment