Sunday, February 6, 2011

Surf and Turf ($2.25 pp)


Last night "Surf an Turf" somewhat Colombia style. I love the restaurant The Columbian in St. Augustine and bought the cookbook. The first time I went there I was disappointed because I expected it to taste more "Mexican" but fell in love with the very fresh food and the more Italian/French style. Of course they have some Cuban influences but this dish is very (in my opinion) French. I made Tilapia Almandine ($5.50) from the cookbook and grilled steak ($2.50) and cast iron skillet potatoes ($1) that I saw on the Food Network. I had some old bananas and made banana bread (basically stuff I had in the house so FREE). The meal cost me $8 plus some basic kitchen supplies. By the way, I only buy meat on sale and then stock up the freezer. This would cost a little more if paying full price for meat but why do that? It was enough for my family of 4 to get nice and full and for $9 per family or $2.25 per person plus standard pantry items like flour, butter, flour, oil etc.

1 comment:

  1. Comment to self. Could have used a pretty decorative sauce to make the plate prettier. Maybe a browned butter. I guess we were in a hurry to eat and didn't need the calories anway :-)

    ReplyDelete